Friday, November 18, 2011

Shirred Pillow Tutorial

 I love fabric.  The way it feels, the different ways you can manipulate it to create something wonderful.

Here's a tutorial on how to make your own shirred pillow.

You will need 1 yard of fabric.  I'm using a super soft chocolate brown courdoroy.
Cut two panels that are 
18 inches by 42 inches.
Cut one of them in to pieces, one 18 inches by 15 inches, and the other 18 by 10 inches.  That will be the envelope closure on the back side.
I am lucky enough to have a gathering foot for my sewing machine.  If you don't have one, gather as you normally would.  I started on one side and gathered about 1/2 inches from the edge.

Go all the way down the edge.

 Turn the fabric and gather down the opposite side.  It's OK that they are gathered in different directions.  You won't know when it's done.

Turn it again and gather about 2 inches from the previous seam.
Repeat.
 Here's the top piece finished.  You could pin the edges to mark where the shirring lines will go.  I just eyeballed it.

Change your stitch length to a regular stitch and top stitch each shirred line to add strength and stability.

 Now get the two pieces for the back side and fold hem one side.


 Lay them on top of each other to create the envelope opening. Pin in place.
 Pin the top piece to the back, right sides together.  I usually pin a ton to prevent shifting when sewing.

When you get to a corner, stop with the needle down, lift the foot and turn the fabric to ensure a clean corner.  After it is sewn, I usually clip the corner fabric to prevent bulk in the corner.
But in this case I surged the edges.  Either way is OK.

 Turn the pillow right side out and stuff with an 18 inch pillow form.  I always cut the pillow fabric to the same width as the pillow form.  This keeps the egdes nice and full.
And you're done!  Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button