Saturday, April 27, 2013

My Wonky Everyday Skirt (with free pattern)


I know I've been kind of on a skirt kick lately.
Like this one, and this one, and this one, and this one 
They are so easy to make and oh so comfortable.  
Especially as the thermometer starts climbing again.  
I'm an Arizona girl after all.  

It gets dang hot here during the summer.  
And while I would love to go back to Seattle to live, I have decided the difference between here and there is they get 3 months of nice weather, and 9 months of crappy weather.  
Here in Arizona we get 9 months of nice weather, and 3 months of crappy hot weather.  

I could so easily become a "snowbird." 
That's what we call older retired people who come here for the winter.  
But I could spend my summers in Seattle and winters here.  

That would be heaven.  

But since that's not possible right now, I have to make the best of my wardrobe to deal with the heat. 

I'm so in love with the everyday skirt.  
I'm definitely making a lot more.  
Plus whenever I go to SAS I always find some cute fabric that just calls to me. 

Plus I was pleasantly surprised to find this in 
the window display when I got there.  
My stuff!  
So Cool if I do say so myself.


That's what happened with this nautical stripe.  
I loved it as soon as I saw it.  

But when I got looking closer I found these cuts in the fabric.  
It looks like it was folded and someone accidentally cut through several layers at the same time.  

But I wasn't scared and I didn't put it back.  
I can work with that.  
I'm so glad I did.  
I think this may be one of my new favorites.  

I really like the wonky-ness of the stripes.  
Kind of unexpected and fun.  
A little like me.


So lets get started.  I made a pattern for you from the chevron skirt I made before.  I am going to use this pattern again and again.  Once you have it fitted to you, the possibilities are endless.



Lay out the fabric and cut individual pieces.  This is what they looked like after cutting and removing the excess.  I pretty much put the pattern wherever it would fit and cut.  I didn't worry about matching up the stripes at all which adds to the wonky nature of the skirt.


I didn't have quite enough to get four full pieces, so I pieced together the last piece.


I sewed the two pieces together, then topstitched them.


Pin the pieces together and seam them.



I top stitched every seam.  More of a finished look.


I added a simple elastic waistband to the skirt.


Serged then topstitched.  Done!


 Perfect for running errands, cleaning, or just about anything.




I tried it with my t-shirt scarf and it actually works.  Dress it up or down depending on the occation.



My Wonky Skirt.
Fun, Summery, and super easy!






1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your darling skirt at The Busy Bee's Thursdays party. We are happy to have you join our party!

    Thanks and have a great day!
    Joye & Myrna
    The Busy Bee's

    ReplyDelete

Print It Button