Monday, April 1, 2013

Urban Garden Update

 My babies are growing!

Everyday when I go out to water my garden, it is so exciting to see how things are growing and changing!
The kids are super excited too!  I think my infectious enthusiasm is rubbing off.
I just wanted to share a few pics of things and how they are going.


First are my blackberries.  
They are already getting buds and flowers.  
I water them about 5 days a week and they get the weekly feed mix that I give my garden grow box.
That mix comes from the Mittleider Foundation here.
The package comes with full instructions.  You have to mix it with Epsom Salt 
and a 16-16-16 fertilizer.  
The fertilizer was a little hard to find.  I finally found some at Walmart.



Next are my potatoes.  They are getting so big!
I just did my first added layers of topsoil and sawdust, along with the weekly feed mix today.


 Broccoli.  My kids favorite!
Crazy I know, but I'm oh so grateful!


The arugula is growing like crazy!  
We actually had our first harvest yesterday for Easter Dinner. 
More pics at the end.


My tomatoes are growing like crazy too.  
I had to make some Tomato cages out of bailing wire today to support the branches.  
If you look really close, you can see my first baby tomato all green and super cute!



The strawberries already have berries on them, along with more flowers.  
I so can't wait for these to be ready. 
Store bought strawberries just don't have the flavor and intensity that homegrown do.  
That's one of the main things we miss about Washington.  
The berries are to die for!


All my fruit trees are also putting out their spring greenery!
Now that it's getting hot, like 90's by the end of the week, 
I'm going to add another day to my watering schedule.
In the winter it is once a month. 
But in the summertime, it's every two weeks.
So on the 1st and the 15th, I'm watering my trees.


Finally my first harvest of arugula.
I mixed it with some green leaf lettuce, grape tomatoes, and orange bell peppers for my dinner salad.


This was our Easter dinner, arugula salad, roasted potatoes, honey glazed ham, 
I wish we could have shared it with our extended family nearby, 
but two of my kiddos have the stomach flu and we definitely don't want to share that!


Exciting things are growing!
Exciting things are coming!
Please come back often!
I'd love for you to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print It Button